And this blogger is,

My photo
India
“I am not always good and noble. I am the hero of this story, but I have my off moments.”

Thursday 21 April 2011

'Lagaan' means 'Tax'..It's not a kind of hen.

           Elections are all over in Tamilnadu.Let me move to a lighter topic.I like to share the experience in watching my first Hindi movie..First I must admit that I don't know any other language except Tamil and English.At the age of twelve,my knowledge to understand English too was very limited.
         At that age,I watched my first Hindi movie 'Lagaan'.Actually I was told that it was a Hindi movie.I was in my 7th std then.Myself and my brother had the news that a Hindi movie about Cricket had entered the Oscars..Our local Cable TV operators telecasted 'Lagaan' with subtitle in English.My brother was curious in watching that movie.
         Though he too couldn't understand Hindi,he understood the subtitle in English.If he wished to watch the movie with out my interference,he had to explain everything to me.I had the habit of liking whatever my brother liked.So I started enjoying the movie,my brother had to give a running commentary on the movie except the long cricket match.In the climax I was exited as if it was a real cricket match.I really didn't realize that it was such a long movie.
         I was told that the hero was someone called 'Aamir Khan'.I already knew his name from a Tamil movie called 'Vaetiya madichu kattu'(வேட்டிய மடிச்சு கட்டு).In that movie,the heroine was a fan of Aamir Khan.
        In our region,'Lagaan' is a kind of hen.I saw that movie in that context,but couldn't understand the relationship between the movie and the hen(I thought they used hens to practice fielding know!!!!!).
After some 7 years I watched that movie with subtitle,this time I understood the subtitle.I laughed heartily when I came to know that 'Lagaan' means 'Tax'..not 'hen'..'Lagaan' remains my fav.
       Every character artist in that movie performed very well.Gracy Singh occupied my heart for a long time with her wonderful dance moves.I enjoyed the songs very much(even now)and ofcourse with out understanding the exact meaning..
       This film had kindled my passion to watch such good Hindi movies..and I watched some good movies with subtitle.
        If you have a list of good Hindi movies,you are welcome to share it..

2 comments:

  1. Hi dear,
    I started to learn Hindi in the mean time of 7th std only... though, me too watched several movies before itself without subtitle.... :)
    Its possible because my bro knew the language..." I had the habit of liking whatever my brother liked." me too the same ma...
    'Lagaan' such a nice movie by asuthosh gowarikar.... i watched this movie for two reasons.. first, its nominated in oscar then cricket but i didn't watch aamir's movies much before since am a fan of king khan.....
    after watching his performance i liked him too... so i won't miss aamir's movie as well as under his production too lot of innovative and social movies are coming in..
    director and ART director contribution to this movie is superb ma:)

    I'll suggest few movies for you: tharae jamin par, jodha akbhar, dil chahatha hai,rang dae pasanthi,peepli live.....

    i love all these mentioned movies.. if u get enough time don't miss it dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for ur suggestions..i watched TZP already and cried a lot while watching it for the first time..i'll try to watch the other movies u mentioned.

    ReplyDelete