And this blogger is,

My photo
India
“I am not always good and noble. I am the hero of this story, but I have my off moments.”

Wednesday 4 May 2011

God and I

by Cho.S.Ramaswamy

From

http://jayasreesaranathan.blogspot.com/2008/06/god-and-i-cho-ramaswamy-from-dc.html

Here is the view of my favorite Cho sir's views on God...


By Cho Ramaswamy


I am more God-fearing than God-loving. It is my family background which helps me in striving to become a real devotee. And I have found by experience that prayer helps us achieve peace of mind.


I have great respect for people who have unshakeable faith in God, to whatever religion they may belong. This faith definitely elevates man to a better plane of living. It is faith in God which makes us honest and humble. There are people who have realized God.


I do not think I would ever reach that state. But I am sure that all the time I am travelling on that path. And that has led me to respect the great wisdom that has been handed down to us in the Upanishads and the Puranas.


I do not agree with the contention that God is an invention of man. Whatever man invents can only be ephemeral; it will have no permanence. And that itself is enough proof that God or faith in Him are not the formulations of any one man or society.


I have gone to many temples but I am not a frequent visitor either. But I am particular in observing the ceremonies that have been prescribed, especially the shrardham (annual obsequies for the departed relatives). Over the years, my understanding of the philosophy of faith has improved because of blessed association with saintly men and also my efforts to understand scriptures better while writing my treatise on the Ramayan, Mahabharat and at present on the boundless ocean called Hinduism. So it gladdens me even more when my readers respond with their appreciation about my commentaries, which also proves that even amidst this craze for materialism ordinary people place such a premium on faith and God. In my opinion, a man without faith in God is an orphan child.


The writer is a commentator based in Chennai
and the editor of Tughlaq magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment